Friday, December 14, 2007

Friends and Babes

Ange and I went out tonight with my mission trainer and his wife. My trainer is one of the few people I feel is a good friend of mine. We can communicate really well, something I don't feel like I can do with too many folks. Anyway, we had Mia with us and I thought about telling my trainer and his wife how amazing the experience was to have a child. I honestly do feel that way and am still awed by the memory of Mia's birth. But, in this situation, with these folks, I didn't feel like I wanted to say anything like that. So, the issue lies in this:

On one hand, is it annoying or lame to express one's testimony, so to speak, of the miracle of birth, as it may be construed as "you should have kids now!"?

The other side is that I feel like it is a reassurance, saying those things, of the amazing experience of having a child. I feel like I'm saying just that, "it's amazing." Not necessarily "I recommend it."

I think that I kind of felt myself leaning into saying "it's amazing" in a "you should have kids!" kind of way, so I stopped. Truth is, I do think they should have kids, when they want and feel ready, and no sooner. I think I made the right move.

My Seinfeld moment.

No comments: